Note: Gettin' Techy
Hello! It's me again :). We took a few weeks off to hang out without the camera, and it sure was nice! But now, I'm back to share some more essentials for you new mamas and daddys - tech essentials that is. These aren't things like a baby monitor that you actually, definitely need - they're more like essentials that make life a heck of a lot easier.
Cody is super techy. He loves geeking out about new tech things + his ideal Saturday would be spent setting up a new television, or teaching Alexa some new tricks. So most of these are things he found while we were pregnant, or when we were first home with Jack, that I now find indispensable. Thanks, Cody!
- Sonos - We started collecting these about 3 years ago. Basically, Sonos speakers create a wireless home music system. We now have one in every room + a PlayBar/Sub in our Living Room. You can control music, volume, etc. in the whole entire home through an app on your phone. Jack, like most babies, loved music - he still does. In fact, music was one of the only ways we could get him to nap in the early days. I literally would spend hours dancing to Bruno Mars or Adele in hopes this sweet little boy would slumber. Instead of having to be hooked to a wire, or without my phone, I would just tell Sonos to play his fav songs + I linked them so they played wherever we were walking in the house. I LOVE IT. Rumor has it these are about to work with Alexa which will make life even more magical.
- Smart Nightlight - So when you're first home, you're nursing/feeding/changing your baby constantly in the night. At first I made Cody sleep with our lamps on because I was a hovering mother + needed to look at Jack constantly to make sure he was ok. This soon got vetoed because Cody couldn't sleep with the lamps on. So, instead, he got me this little magic light. While Jack was in our room, I sat this on my nightstand + whenever Jack needed to nurse, or whenever we needed to do a diaper change, I would touch the top of this little gadget and tada! LIGHT! Thus, everyone got to sleep in the dark but I had light + visibility within the touch of a button. Once Jack moved into his crib in his room, we moved this little gadget to the Changing Table so we could see for midnight diaper changes.
- External Battery - My favorite thing ever. Literally. I used this constantly in the hospital + I still use it like every single day now. This little handy dandy battery can charge your iPhone, your Baby Monitor - you name it. When Jack was nursing and sleeping on me, this was the only way I could use my phone. Now that Jack is bigger and not really taking 45 mins to eat, or taking all of his naps on me, I still use it daily to charge the Baby Monitor while we're in the Kitchen or Living Room + to recharge my phone (because I take too many pics of him + my battery wants to die QUICK.) It's also handy to take in the stroller if you need to charge a portable fan, phone, whatever. Basically, it's amazing.
- BabyTracker App - I don't use this often anymore now that Jack + I have a rhythm, but we used this for probably the first 3-4 months on a daily basis. I kept track of all of Jack's feedings, wet diapers, dirty diapers, nap length, etc. This helped me know he was taking full feedings, he was eating every 3 hours, he had pooped/peed enough that day, etc. I really recommend downloading an app like this to use those first few weeks when you're getting your rhythm down + too sleep deprived to recall when you last fed your baby.
- Sound Sleeper App - The vacumn sound on this app was a life saver!!!! It was the only noise that instantly put Jack to sleep. I used it every time we got in the car because Jack hated the car. I used it when we were at the mall, or at Target, or at our favorite restaurant. I got a lot of side-eye, but when you need your baby to sleep, you need your baby to sleep! To the side-eye haters of my stroller shhhh blaring noises, you can either have white noise or have my baby screaming your ears off - you choose.
- Wonder Weeks App - Ever wonder why the heck is my sweet, precious baby behaving like a total terror? Most of the time it's because they are going through a developmental growth spurt + that's why I love this app! It's so fun to track how they are learning new abilities + it's also really helpful to know they're being cranky because they're growing + growing is tough! I love this app + the corresponding book.
Okie dokie - these are a few fun tech gadgets I wanted to share with you! So, what tech gadgets can you + your baby not live without? Let me know because these would all probably be awesome birthday/christmas/fathers day gifts for Cody!